The goal of the Techsploration Point system is to get students to interact with the Academy for Design and Technology Pillars outside a formal classroom setting. In the Advisory Presentation below, you can read and overview of the academy distinction and get some ideas on how to get points.
Requirements of the ADT Distinction
- Complete 3 years of an approved design and technology elective
- Complete and ADT Independent Project through Senior Seminar OR an approved Internship
- Document 80 Techsploration Points
Examples of ADT Electives
Approved electives are those that allow students to design and/or make. Some examples include (but are not limited to):
STEM endorsed electives:
STEM endorsed electives:
- Engineering, Robotics, Coding
- Cosmetology, Architecture and Construction
- Graphic Design, Photography
Techsploration Points Interview
The goal of The Academy for Design and Technology at Austin High is to create graduates that are:
- Innovative Investigators
- Self Directed Learners
Techsploration Points Information
- Techsploration Points can be earned in a variety of ways.
- The goal of this process is to encourage each member of ADT to get out and get involved with their surroundings.
- Typical Point values: 1 hour of Techsploration = 1 point
- Summer Techsplorations are capped at 30 points.
What are some ways to earn points?
Be a Self Directed Learner by:
- Using online resources to teach yourself a new skill
- Volunteering for a person, organization or AHS. In doing so, you can learn/refine a skill or system.
- Partnering with a local maker or expert to learn a new craft
- Shadowing an expert in an industry of interest
- Identifying a need in your community. Seek to better understand the need through interviews and additional research, then design a solution.
- Pick a topic you are passionate or curious about, then investigate the issue from multiple perspectives. Practice your Communication Skills by presenting your findings to a relevant audience.
- Making observations and exploring opportunities to become expert Design Thinkers!
- Selecting the best tool(s) to present to public forum
- Sharing what you have learned via a video, blog, or teaching/learning platform, or live class
- Reaching outside of the classroom to work with others (partnerships, community resources, global connections, etc.)
Built in Techsplorations
- Attend and communicate during an ADT lunch bunch
- Participate in teacher facilitated mini-design challenges
- Attend virtual guest speaker seminars
- Academy Projects (varies each school year)
- Attend sessions during Austin Design Week! (see blend assignment for details)
Logging Techsploration Points
- If you are a 9th or 10th grader, you will learn about or review this process in one of your ADT classes in the near future.
- If you are an 11th grader, you should be enrolled in the blend course: High Techsploration-Class of 2022. If you are not, please let your advisor know and they will contact Ms. Wroblewski to get you added. A video on how to log points is located on the homepage of that course.
- 11th grade: See your advisor if you have questions about the current status of your points. If they don’t know the answer, they know who to ask!
- 9th or 10th grade: Ask one of your ADT teachers. Keep in mind they will be reviewing this with you in more detail in the coming days/weeks.